Autumn apple cake November 06 2016
This is one of my all time favourite cake recipes, I've been baking it for about ten years now, so it's tried and tasted and been enjoyed by the whole family again and again, especially served warm with vanilla ice cream. Yum :)
It's full of the appley tastes of Autumn, but to be honest, it tastes scrumptious at anytime of year, give it a try and see...
450g bramble apples (approx 4 big ones)
225g caster sugar
3 large eggs
225g self raising flour
2tsp baking powder
25g ground almonds
1tbsp demerara sugar
1) heat oven to 180*
2) grease 23cm tin (your tin will need to be nice and deep to hold all the mixture)
3) soften butter and mix with caster sugar, add 3 eggs, self raising flour, ground almonds, baking powder and mix together
4) finely grate the lemon skin and add the zest and a good squeeze of the juice to your cake mix and stir
5) peel and chop your apples, stir through the cake mix - the mixture will feel quite heavy, but don't worry the raw apples will cook down and make your cake lovely and moist.
6) pour your mix into your greased tin and finally, sprinkle the spoonful of demerara sugar over the top, this will give your cake a lovely deep golden crunchy finish.
7) bake in the middle of your pre heated oven for around an hour
8) allow to cool before removing from the tin and serve with a generous dollop of thick cream, vanilla ice cream or just on it's own with your favourite brew, perfect!
Hope you enjoy making this as much as I do.