dreamy lemon dessert June 23 2014
Hey sweeties, good to see you here again for another lovely Make it Sewcial tutorial!
This week I've swapped the pretty fabrics and the sewing machine, the paint brushes and the furniture for a little spot of baking instead. I like to keep my Monday's interesting by trying lots of different things, and I also thought it was about time I shared one of my all time favourite dessert recipes with you too.
This recipe was passed onto me and mr C over twenty years ago and we've been enjoying its lemony goodness ever since! Its deliciousy light and lovely and really is the perfect pud for those long Summer days.
And days like today when the sunshine is pouring through your kitchen window, your singing along to your favourite tunes, whilst juicing a bucket load of lemons and the fresh zesty scent is filling the air, you absolutely know you are in for a proper treat!
Heres how you can whip up a taste of sunshine too...
INGREDIENTS - for the crunchy biscuit base - 8oz digestive biscuits, 4oz butter, 2 tablespoons of caster sugar
and for the filling - 1/2 pint of double cream, 6oz tin of condensed milk, 4 large lemons, lavender to decorate
those are the simple ingredients and here are the simple step by steps -
1) pop your biscuits inside a carrier bag and bash them with a wooden rolling pin to make the crumb base
2) gently heat and melt your butter and add them to your crumbs, add the caster sugar too
3) mix the crumbs, butter and sugar together
4) pat the mixture firmly into a 7" flan/pie dish and bake on a low oven (150*C) for 8 minutes
now its time to give those lemons a good squeeze and to whip up the dreamy cream!
Seriously, is there anything nicer than the smell of freshly squeezed lemons?... I had to include an extra big pic here because juicing lemons makes me happy!
5) zest your 4 lemons and inhale deeply... mmmmmmm yum yum yum
6) juice your lemons squeezing out every last little drop of loveliness, the original recipe uses half this amount of juice but that just ain't good enough for me, I'm going for full on fruity flavour
7) add your 1/2 pint of double cream and your tin of condensed milk
8) give the 'dreamy cream' a good mix and pour on top of your 'cooled' crunchy biscuit base
9) smooth with the back of your wooden spoon
10) decorate with a cute little sprig of lavender for extra prettiness and colour, leave in the fridge to chill for about half an hour and if you can't wait that long, 15/20 minutes should do, just enough time to lick that lemony bowl clean! mmmm ... more yum yum yum
11) now as I said earlier this is a proper old skool recipe, and I wanted to bring the visuals bang up to date by serving them in some cool glass jars, well after all, if you ain't sipping yo' cocktails out of a glass jar or serving your desserts in a glass jar, you definetly ain't down with the kids!
12) so, for the 'deconstructed' glass jar version just spoon in a layer of biscuit crumbs (no need to bake obvs) then a layer of lemon cream, then more biscuit and so on, topping off with some whipped cream if ya fancy and then sprinkle with some lemon zest to decorate, make a nifty flag from a stripy straw and washi tape, and finally add a little more lavender and there you have it, easy peasy lemon squeezey!
The 2014 version of a very retro dessert! I'm gonna resisting scoffing this one now and save it for the lovely mr C for when he gets home from work, its his absolute fave!
happy baking everyone, hope you enjoy every zingy tangy lemony mouthful as much as me!
Allison x x x