Make it sewcial... felt Christmas stocking November 25 2013
Carrying on the Christmas theme, this weeks step by step tutorial is a cute felt stocking. Its tradition in the People shop household to decorate our home with as much festive handmade goodness as possible and every year I make 3 new stockings one for each of my little lovelies ( yep, Mr C gets one too! )
Oky dokey, here we go.
Materials : felt (about a quarter of a metre should do it) that's all you need to create your stocking, I used just 2 colours, you can use as many as you fancy... t'is Christmas after all, so no holding back!
Step by steps :
1) once you've decided on the colours, lay your felt out flat ready for cutting
2) draw yourself a cute stocking template ~ mine measures 34cm in length, 15cm across the top and the foot measures 20cm ( I think this is just the right size and isn't too expensive for Santa to fill with goodies!)
3) cut out 1 toe piece, 1 heel, 1 stripe and a heart or star if you prefer (I'm not great at sewing stars so a heart gets my vote every time!)
4) pin felt pieces into place on the front piece of your stocking ready for sewing
5) I used a zig zag stitch because it works really well with felt and makes your stocking look nice and pretty
*top tip : use a contrasting colour cotton to make your pretty zig zag stitching more of a feature
6) once all of the felt pieces are stitched into place put the front and back of your stocking together and zig zag stitch all the way around the edge, leaving the top open ready for treats
7) make a felt loop 14cm x 2cm
8) stitch the loop securely inside your stocking ready for the big guy in the red suit to fill it up with satsumas. ho ho ho!
Hope you enjoy today's tutorial as much as I enjoy sharing it with you... all of these Christmas makes are certainly getting me in the festive mood. I'm off to buy some Baileys!
Big love for now lovelies and happy Monday making
Allison x x x